Monday 29 March 2010

Personal Genius: Gruff Rhys

I love Gruff Rhys. Look at him:


He's mostly known for being the lead singer for Welsh-o-phile indie-psych-rockers Super Furry Animals. However, here are some other reasons why I like him:

1) He looks like he should be in a Personal & Social Education (PSE) video about respecting the Countryside Code:


2) In his Neon Neon side project with Boom Bip, he created the album Stainless Style, a commentary on the life and times of DeLorean creator, John DeLorean. Said album actually sounds like a DeLorean in its kitch retrofuturism, it's really quite marvellous. I would like someone to suggest to Messers Rhys and Bip that their next album should be entitled 'Oh Mumsie! The Richard O'Brien Experience'. Actually don't, that's my idea.


3) Super Furry Animals' Welsh-language album 'Mwng' is the highest selling Welsh-language album of all time and for this reason got a mention in Parliament, and the Welsh Assembly:


4) I would not be surprised to learn that he has been an extra in Welsh lanugage soap opera, Pobol Y Cwm. However, I could not find any evidence, so here you go:


5) In the top photograph he is holding a keyboard that I own, a rather special Casio effort that comes with song cartridges. there is a Beatles one but sadly no Super Furry Animals one. What this does prove is that we should be friends so if anyone could pass the memo on, please do.

So, Gruff Rhys:

1) Friendly face
2) Sensitive historian
3) Political pioneer
4) Potential TV star
5) Casio enthusiast like me

Lovely stuff.

No comments: